[TR] tr nos vs. repros.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Dec 17 12:14:37 MST 2008

> That's a good point, particularly with rubber parts, but not really
> applicable with metal parts such as clutch covers, or lenses, cables, etc.
> that were stored properly and not damaged as you describe below.

I disagree.  Springs such as those found in clutch covers sometimes "take a
set" when stored under tension.  Pivot points inside the cover were
originally lubricated, but the lube has dried up by now.

Glass lenses are usually OK, as long as they were not coated or colored; but
plastic ones frequently degrade with time, turning both cloudy and brittle.
Somewhere, I have an original amber lens where the amber coloring flaked off
before it was removed from the box.  US-spec windshields have plastic inside
them that can degrade with time.

Cables were frequently pre-lubricated by the factory, and the lubrication
dries out over time, so at the very least they need to be disassembled,
cleaned of the old dried lubrication, and relubricated.  Many of them also
have plastic components (outer jackets, inner stops) that can degrade over
time.

Bearings or any other moving part can also have issues with lubrication
drying up; sometimes it even turns to a sandy grit!  In some cases, it's not
practical to disassemble and clean them; but leaving the grit behind will
shorten the life.

> If you are buying NOS hydraulics, pay a price that
> makes it worthwhile to rebuild the unit, but don't rely on old seals!
> Also make sure the unit does not have a rusty bore or piston before
> purchasing, or get a guarantee from the seller.

That I agree with!

I'm not saying NOS parts are bad, only that one should not assume they are
good.  Even the factory made bad parts sometimes.

Randall