[TR] tr nos vs. repros.

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 11:38:18 MST 2008

> And 40-50 years of storage
> is not going to improve the parts any.

That's a good point, particularly with rubber parts, but not really
applicable with metal parts such as clutch covers, or lenses, cables,
etc. that were stored properly and not damaged as you describe below.
> In some cases, there is a good reason the part was left on the shelf.  I've
> seen more than one that on close examination showed the scars from having
> been installed and promptly removed, apparently because a defect was found.
>
> I see people buying NOS brake seals, and have to wonder what they plan to do
> with them.  NOS is fine for a car that will only be driven on and off a
> trailer (or not at all); but it's not something I would want to trust my
> life with.

Another good point. I instruct buyers to replace seals on the NOS
hydraulic cylinders I'm selling even if they look good, and I price the
parts accordingly. If you are buying NOS hydraulics, pay a price that
makes it worthwhile to rebuild the unit, but don't rely on old seals!
Also make sure the unit does not have a rusty bore or piston before
purchasing, or get a guarantee from the seller. Some NOS master
cylinders are out of production, so the NOS or used market is all that's
left to us, and those parts can be quite pricey.

Greg Tatarian