[TR] tr nos vs. repros.

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 14:27:30 MST 2008

I think the main point here is that not all NOS parts are good, nor are
they all bad. One must consider the type of material, availability,
condition, price, etc. Parts stored 10 years will likely be in far
better shape than parts stored 30-40 years, but much of what is sold now
is from 10-20 years old, from what I have seen. The storage conditions
have a very big influence on the condition of the parts; many are good,
many are not.

The original question was how to tell the difference, and the answer is;
ask first, and also get to know what parts are available new, which are
not, and go from there. If a buyer doesn't know much about how to
discern condition of an NOS part either OEM or reproduction, they should
consider buying new repros, or buy from a reputable seller. By the way,
most of the parts in our cars ARE old, which is why we buy our cars!

Cheers, and happy motoring.
Greg Tatarian