[TR] Subject: Choke cable

Rick chandler.rick at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 10:22:08 MST 2008

"Now that its fall I find I need to use the choke on the TR3.

My question concerns the choke cable. After you pull the cable out

is it supposed to slowly return to the off position or stay where you

put it.

Pete Bieling"

Pete,

The original cable comprised a knob, a 3" shaft, and the cable itself. The
shaft was notched along one side with 3 detents, allowing for 3 positions of
the choke, plus "full off". The cylindrical metal sheath that contained the
notched shaft was slotted, and in that slot was a thin piece of metal, the
"half-moon" that Randall referred to a few days ago. On the outside of this
slot was a spring clip that retained the "half-moon" and forced it against
the shaft and into one of the detents. To operate the choke, the driver
simply pulled the choke out until the desired detent engaged. When the
driver wished to reduce the choke, a simple rotation of the knob disengaged
the detent, and the shaft was free to retract.

The Moss unit is an exact replica of the original choke cable, but with the
bizarre omission of the "half moon" piece, so that no detent action is
possible. As I recall, even the spring clip is present. I made my own "half
moon" piece from a small piece of shim stock (the piece is approx 1/4" on a
side and maybe 0.040" thick} and now have a fully functioning detented cable
with choices of light, medium, and full choke available.

Rick Chandler

1960 TR3A

1970 BSA Victor

1975 Norton Commando Mk3

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image001.jpg]