[TR] 59 TR3A Steering Column

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 05:24:19 MST 2008

In a message dated 11/30/2008 9:46:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
suhringtr36 at comcast.net writes:

2.   Doe you insert the stator tube in the steering column and then  the
wire harness or do you install the wire harness in the stator tube,  then
insert the stator tube in the column?

Although I have done this alone a few times, it is much easier with  two.  I
fully assembled the wheel, stator tube, wires, on the bench, then  taken a
coat hanger and straightened it out like a long spear, tied a string to  one end,
and shot it down the column and pulled it out so the string hangs out  on
both ends.  Tie the wires with the string and one person guides the  stator tube
and the other pulls the string.
If your wires are not already staggered in length (so that all the bullet
connectors do not bunch up together) you might want to consider doing  that.  It
is doable by taping them staggered but it is easier if they  are already that
way when it goes in.

Pay particular attention to Randall's note about making sure there are not
stresses on the column as it is clamped up.  The steering is heavy enough  as
it is without adding to it.  I lift the front wheels and move the  steering
wheel lock to lock as I tighten to make sure that it is not getting  stiff
anywhere from misaligned clamps.  Maybe that is overkill but it works  for me.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO
**************Finally, one site has it all: your friends, your email, your