[TR] Choke cable movement

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 1 05:17:21 MST 2008

Gary - what you describe is a not unusual problem. In fact, it's identical to the one we're
currently experiencing on the Triumph Trans-AmeriCa Raffle Prize Spitfire in the UK as I write.
Sounds to me that you need to loosen the clamp holding the cable in place and adjust it so it pulls
the chokes firmly open. On "Spitty" we adopted the following procedure (until some 'know all'
recommended a cable adjustment

1. Open door and get into car with top erected. Garage is narrow and surplus frontal body fat makes
this a painful (and difficult) manoeuvre.
1a. Settle in seat and gasp a little at immediately previous exertions. Oaths are appropriate if you
banged your head on the hoodirons in the process
2. Insert ignition key and turn on
3. Place both feet on dashboard and grab choke knob with both hands - not an easy action with the
steering wheel in place
4. Pull hard until you hear plastic in knob beginning to crack as cable starts to come away from
knob interior
5. Then pull some more by straightening legs
6. Cable should come out further - and suddenly, indicating chokes are now open.
7. Twist ignition key and blast engine into action with accompanying death rattle from empty oil
filter

This treatment may seem unnecessarily violent? Perhaps - but it takes me back to the days of new
Triumphs when this type of choke operation was the rule rather than the exception. It's all part of
the 'originality' of the car and an essential element of the WGAS (who gives a ***t) philosophy that
prevailed in abundance at the end of the Final Finish line.

Jonmac