[TR] more torqueeness, security, etc.

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Wed Aug 27 20:39:10 MDT 2008

As long as they're surplus pliers they should work just fine.  Don't bother
buying the $10-$15 Chinese ones that Horrible Freight, etc. sell.  They're
made wrong and just don't work properly at all.  The handles aren't springy
at all and the latch is hard to use and so weak that it quickly bends and
won't hold closed.  After you safety a few fasteners, the latch will break
and you can use the "lifetime warrantee".

Good safety wire pliers have springy handles to hold the wire without
smashing it, and also have a clutch to allow then to twist either way, as
needed, since properly in safetying a series of fasteners you should really
alternate twisting directions to ensure that the "loops" around the heads of
the fasteners stay in place.

And the best ones have wave-form jaws rather than serrated - they're called
"Tiger-Wave" jaws.  They don't nick the wire at all, so there's much less
chance of a wire breaking in service, and if you need to add a couple more
twists, the "waves" bent into the wire turn right into neat twists matching
the rest.

Enjoy your new hobby !!

Karl