[TR] more torqueeness, security, etc.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 12:25:46 MDT 2008

> Don't bother buying the $10-$15 Chinese ones that Horrible Freight, etc.
> sell.  They're
> made wrong and just don't work properly at all.  The handles aren't
> springy
> at all and the latch is hard to use and so weak that it quickly bends and
> won't hold closed.  After you safety a few fasteners, the latch will break
> and you can use the "lifetime warrantee".

I'm still puzzling over this statement.  I bought my safety wire pliers at
HF quite a few years ago; and while I don't do a lot of safety wire work,
they've lasted far beyond "a few fasteners".  The handles are springy enough
that I have no trouble closing them even on .050" wire while they still grip
.025" firmly; and the latch has never bent or needed to be fiddled with.

The latch spring is stiffer than some others I've used, so I've never
learned to hold the pliers and close the latch with the same hand (as I've
seen other mechanics do).  But for something I might use 8 or 10 times and
then put away for a year or two, it does the job.  And my left hand is
usually readily available to close the latch <G>

Randall