[TR] more torqueeness, security, etc.

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Wed Aug 27 16:19:26 MDT 2008

There are lots of ways to safety-wire fasteners.  Bolts can have safety-wire
through the head or the shank (near the end of the threads).  If you wire
through the threads of the bolt, you should use a castellated nut, torqued
properly and then turned as appropriate (ie don't torque so hard you break
the fastener) to align a set of slots in the castellated nut with the hole.

Safetying is similar to cotter pinning, but you can safety things that can't
be held by a cotter pin.  A cotter pin can hold a nut from turning.  Safety
wire can do that, or keep a screw, plug, etc. etc. that is threaded into
something, from turning.

Safety wire is threaded through the hole, then bent together so there are
two lengths of wire running parallel,  The wire is then twisted (in the
appropriate direction) to keep the loop on the head or shank of the screw,
and fastened to the next screw or to a hard point.  Easier to understand if
you've seen it.

When you safety something, remember to install and tension the wire in a
direction that will tighten the fastener - not loosen it.  Easy to mess that
one up.

Safetying is normally done with stainless steel wire, .032 being a common
size for smaller fasteners, say 8-32 up to maybe 5/16".  Above that you
might want to go .041, maybe larger, depending on the size of what you're
safetying.  My perspective is sirplanes, and we use lots of .032.

Aircraft mechanics safety things all day long.  If you look for a copy of
FAA Advisory Circular AC 43.13 you will see lots of examples of various ways
to properly safety wire bolts, screws, plugs, etc.

Karl