[TR] more torqueeness, security, etc.

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Wed Aug 27 07:17:05 MDT 2008

>Does wiring a nut on mean 'tightening it,
> then drilling a hole thru nut and bolt, then sticking wire thru it?

No.  The hole is already drilled through the nut.  The hole does not go through the threads.  There is no hole in the bolt.  After the nut is installed, the safety wire is put through the hole and looped tightly to an adjacent object, perhaps another nut.

I used to wire the wheel nuts on my MG Midget because the light torque specified for those little 3/8" studs was not enough for the flat washers of the wheels I was using.  After having stock steel wheels (torqued to specs!) loosen up, I was not going to take a chance with the flat-washer setup on those alloy wheels.

Of course the same can  be done with bolts.  The hole is through the bolt head.