[TR] And speaking of OD oil

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sat Aug 16 18:05:47 MDT 2008

I drained and refilled the Spitfire's gearbox today.  I was
astonished by how little oil drained out.  I cleaned up the drain
plug, poured the requisit volume of Valvoline Racing Oil 20w50 back
in, took it for a spin around the neighborhood.  That's more like it,
easy shifting, quick en/disengagment of the OD.  Now we'll wait and
see...

I had noticed before that after driving most of the way home from
work I'd hit a stoplight and sometimes experience the smell of oil
dripping onto the tailpipe.  The box itself seems to be leaking very
slowly from a myriad of seams.  It's only a matter of time before the
oil all slithers out again, but maybe this 20w50 stuff will slither
out more slowly.  It has sure not been what I would have expected in
a rebuilt box from QM.  However I will not trouble to pull it again
until necessary.

In the meantime the body is begging for serious attention.  At least
the car is mechanically sound (for the time being).

Thank you all for all the advice.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com