[TR] now lubrication recommendations

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Aug 13 13:40:17 MDT 2008

I've been considering refreshing the oil in my Spitfire's OD-enabled
gearbox.  It's a rebuilt unit I got from Quantumechanics a few years
ago.  John Esposito recommended simply a non-detergent, single
viscosity 30 weight.

On 28 May 2008 at 23:22, terryrs at comcast.net wrote:

> OD tranny oil:  Valvoline 20-50 racing oil.

As I recall, few of the tranny oil recommendations made to this list
over the last several years have mentioned OD at all.  For example,
Randall Y. has been a big advocate of Redline oils, if I remember
right, but I don't recall if he has OD.  So recommendations like
Terry's always make me wonder:

How do OD clutches work in the presence of high-performance oils,
which is what I suppose these are?  No lube engineer, I, so I wonder
how the clutches work in oil of any sort.  But specifically I wonder
if these most of recommendations are meant for OD.  And of course, if
so why does/did John E. recommend some simpler?

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+