[TR] now lubrication recommendations (pt 1)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 15:26:58 MDT 2008

This was probably too long for the server, so here's two parts.

> For example,
> Randall Y. has been a big advocate of Redline oils, if I remember
> right, but I don't recall if he has OD.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that exactly.  I've only relatively recently tried
Redline MT-90 myself, and IIRC my last post on the subject said only that I
planned to try it based on recommendations from others (including Redline).

However, I do have OD, J-types in both Stags and A-type in the once and
future TR3.  And in the past, I've followed the recommendation of both
Herman van den Akker and Ken Gillanders (who did some tests on his own TR2
with OD) to use Valvoline 20W50 Racing oil.

> No lube engineer, I, so I wonder
> how the clutches work in oil of any sort.

I'm no lube engineer either; but the way I understand it is that oils
lubricate because their molecules slide past each other easily.  It follows
that there must be a film of oil to produce this sliding effect.  "Wet"
clutches (like the OD clutches) work by squeezing out the oil film until the
lubrication effect disappears.

> But specifically I wonder
> if these most of recommendations are meant for OD.  And of course, if
> so why does/did John E. recommend some simpler?

John gives his reasons on the web site.  I think they can be summarized as:

1) The OD manufacturer at one time specifically prohibited use of "hypoid"
oil (ie extreme pressure 'gear' oil) in the overdrive.

2) John has done his own tests and concluded that 30wt non-detergent motor
oil is the best.

However, AFAIK, he did not test the 20W50 Valvoline Racing oil that Ken G.
tested nor the Redline MT-90; plus John's tests were done only on the bench,
not in actual driving behind a Tractor motor.  Likely they weren't even done
on a TR gearbox.  He even mentions the thrust washer problem, but fails to
acknowledge that using an "extreme pressure" oil might help alleviate it.

Randall