[TR] Fw: Hydrogen fuel.

Greg Bengeult bengeult at comcast.net
Fri Aug 1 15:21:19 MDT 2008

Dave1massey at cs.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/1/2008 2:16:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
> ambritts at bellsouth.net writes:
>
>>> This is a growing area here in Florida. Better known as "Brown's Gas", its
>>>
>>> been around for years. A google search will shed more light. There is a
>>> company in Clearwater that has a contract with the military to fit out
>>> "Humvees". The attached sites lend some additional info. GE is working on
>>> this as you will see from the site below. The military has used it in
>>> different forms for years as well as industry. Just lately smaller units
>>> have been constructed to fit cars, both diesel and gas. I have seen these
>>> many times and know people who claim mileage improvements anywhere from
>>> 10% to 40% depending on the unit and its construction. There are a few of
>>> us here looking to build these for our daily drivers. After getting the
>>> instructions, ($50) you can build the units for under $15. FWIW. So the
>>> big question.............where has it been all these years?
>>>
> On the same shelf as all the other snake oils.  Since you are googling Browns
> Water look at the Wikipedia entry.  Specifically:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water-fuelled_car
>
> Running a car on hydrogen presents one big problem: Where do you get the
> hydrogen?  Most methods involve some other energy source either electric or
> chemical.  There's no magic there other than the smoke and mirrors kind.
>
> Dave

A more appropriate reference for this discussion would be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fuel_injection

The Brown's Gas injection process doesn't replace the normal fuel
mixture as in the
water-fuelled car article, it merely adds free hydrogen to the fuel
mixture.  This allows the
car to run a much leaner mixture under certain conditions (like idle or
low load) with a
corresponding improvement in both fuel economy and emissions.
Unfortunately for
the people who just fabricate their own unit, it takes extensive
modifications to the
ECU's air/fuel mixture map to take full advantage of the system.

Greg