[TR] cleaning the GT6 exhaust

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Apr 3 16:40:52 MST 2008

On 3 Apr 2008 at 15:34, Randall wrote:

> Any chance some previous owner has installed a performance cam ?

Ahhhh, there is a pretty good chance.

> They also frequently require more valve lash than the stock cam
> does, which might explain why your engine is so picky about lash.

So I have heard, now that you mention it.  How much, I wonder?  Hmm,
ISTR that this was discussed a few months ago.

> What happens if you go say, 1/2 turn leaner on both mixture nuts?

Not much.  If I go lean enough the engine dies, of course.  Finding
the sweet spot isn't easy.

> Or raise the idle rpm by 3-400 rpm.

The idle goes up.  Otherwise not much interesting.

> I assume you've tried fresh plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor,
> points, condensor

Yeah.  I don't think that's where the problem sits.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right about
needing more valve lash.  At least, if they were too tight nothing
else could be dialed in easily after the engine warmed.  It might
also explain why it seems to like advanced timing.

Thanks for the idea.  I knew there was a reason to ask.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+