[TR] cleaning the GT6 exhaust

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Apr 3 15:34:44 MST 2008

> I have noticed that a
> change of just .001" seems to make a big difference, at least in how
> smoothly it idles.

That's odd.  I've very little experience with the 6-pot Triumphs, but on my
TR3 it takes at least .003-.004 to make any noticeable difference, and even
then it's not much.

> Carbs are HS4 SU's
> with individual K&N air cleaners.  That's what it's had since I
> bought it.

Hmmm.  Any chance some previous owner has installed a performance cam ?
They usually sacrifice idle quality for more high-end power.  They also
frequently require more valve lash than the stock cam does, which might
explain why your engine is so picky about lash.

> As for my emission testing equipment, that's my nose.  And the state
> of my clothes when I get to where I'm going after idling at enough
> stoplights.  All very hi-tech equipment, you know.

Not much to work with, unfortunately.  What happens if you go say, 1/2 turn
leaner on both mixture nuts ?  Or raise the idle rpm by 3-400 rpm.

I assume you've tried fresh plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, points, condensor

Randall