[TR] TR6 electronic ignition

Tom Bottman tbottman at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 30 12:07:18 MDT 2007

I have just installed a Pertronix "Ignitor" ignition in my '74 TR6, along
with a matching Flamethrower coil. It is a very easy installation, and the
car started up promptly. However, it is running rough and I have determined
that there is no spark at the #1 cylinder (at the front of the engine). I
have changed spark plug, wire, and distributor cap - still no spark.

The TR6 evidently has a ballast resistor (voltmeter tests indicate this).
The Pertronix instructions show a hook up of the red wire going to the
Ignitor into the resistor (so the resistor is between the coil and the
Ignitor). Right now I have just attached the red wire directly to the coil.

The resistor must be somewhere in the wire harness. Does anyone have any
idea as to where?????

And, would this improper hook up cause only one cylinder to fail?

Thanks,
Tom Bottman
TR6, TR3