[TR] Starter jsut spinning

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 17 22:05:24 MDT 2007

> I'm beginning to think that the
> problem is in the electrical system and not having anything
> to do with the starter.

Could well be.  The Bendix mechanism requires a good, sharp spin to extend;
so if the wiring to the starter motor isn't quite up to snuff, the motor may
not 'twist' enough to extend the drive.

>  I did replace the solenoid a while
> back.  Could it be that is bad again?

Could be.

>  If so, what would
> cause the solenoid to go bad again?

Although I've not specifically heard of new solenoids being junk, there are
enough other bad parts being supplied that I wouldn't be surprised if there
are bad solenoids too.

Another possibility is a poor connection at the solenoid, which will
generate lots of heat when trying to crank.  The excess heat may cause the
contacts inside to corrode, although usually I would expect to see external
signs of high heat as well (discoloration, melted insulation, etc.).

Or, there might be some fault with the motor itself causing it to draw too
much current (even though it will extend the Bendix on the bench).  They are
4-pole motors, so one pole being open (or shorted to ground) will still let
them run.  I had exactly that problem on my TR3A, and the excess current
literally sent the battery cable up in smoke.  I thought the car was on fire
!

Randall