[TR] Starter jsut spinning

Donald Tennant dtennant at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 18 03:26:44 MDT 2007

Jerrold Le Tourneau wrote:
> Hello all.  Long time ower of a 68 GT-6 MK1 which runs well but looks
> like hell.  Anyhow, I have problem which I haven't been able to solve.
> The starter motor turns but will not engage and turn over the engine.  I
> removed the unit and cleaned.  I put a 12 volt charge to it and it
> extends and turns as required.  Back into the car and the problem
> persists.  I changed the starter and still have the same problem.  I'm
> beginning to think that the problem is in the electrical system and not
> having anything to do with the starter.  I did replace the solenoid a
> while back.  Could it be that is bad again?  If so, what would cause the
> solenoid to go bad again?
>
> Jerry

Did you check the bendix drive itself to ensure that it wasn't broken.
It may throw out fine, engage the drive gear but fail to transmit the
spin of the starter motor to the ring gear.. This does happen and does
address the fact pattern you described elegantly without referring to
arcane electrical faults. It is a hell of a lot easier to check as well.

Donald Tennant.