[TR] Starter jsut spinning

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at charter.net
Mon Sep 17 21:21:15 MDT 2007

At 10:51 PM 9/17/2007, Jerrold Le Tourneau wrote:

>The starter motor turns but will not engage and turn over the engine.  I
>removed the unit and cleaned.  I put a 12 volt charge to it and it
>extends and turns as required.  Back into the car and the problem
>persists.  I changed the starter and still have the same problem.

Assuming the Bendix is OK on the starters, are you missing teeth on
the flywheel?  If the starter turns, it shouldn't be the solenoid...

Try putting the car in gear and pushing it so you find a new spot on
the flywheel to engage.  Also, look through the hole when the starter
is removed, and inspect the ring gear.

Jeff Scarbrough
Spitfires and a TR6