[TR] vintage raced day pt 1

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Sep 2 18:48:53 MDT 2007

[It seems I have to post this in two parts.]

Yesterday (Saturday) Sharon and I decided on the spur of the moment
to drive out to Lime Rock to watch some of the vintage racing bash
they hold there every Labor day weekend.  I haven't followed racing
seriously since my flagging days which ended in 1975.  I've never
seen a vintage race and the only SCCA event I've seen since then was
a not-very-interesting regional we attended at Lime Rock a few years
ago.  So we didn't quite know what to expect.  But the weather was
gorgeous and the holiday weekend was begging for an adventure.  So we

threw some food and amenities into the GT6 and pointed it west.  We
took the GT6 because it seemed like the right choice to ride to
vintage races.  Surprise - it younger than all the race cars!

Becauseit was a spontaneous decision we got a late start, didn't
leave the house until noon for the 3-hour trip.  It would have been
less except for the traffic jam on I90.  And the students returning
to school in, umm, Great Barrington, I believe it was.  (As
Barringtons go, Great Barrington scores right up there with the best
of 'em.  It's a beautiful town in a beautiful part of the world.)
Still, it was a great trip out despite the traffic.  Rt 7, the
north/south road through the Berkshires is an awesome sports car
road.  It would have been even better in a roadster top-down.  But
the trip out the Mass Pike (I90) would have been less fun and much
noisier.

We got to the track with maybe four 10-lap races left.  They wanted
$45 apiece to enter the track, with no half-day rate.  Hmmph, that
seemed steep for not much racing left so we and a dozen other folks
watched the first raceleaning on the wire fence that the separated
the parking area from the outfield.  After that the guy working the
gate walked along telling people that once they shut down the ticket
windown the gates were open so we could just go in.  Great!  That was

mighty kind of him to point that out to everyone.  Makes me willing
to go out for another day, and pay their full rate if we get there
early enough.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com