[TR] vintage races pt 2

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Sep 2 18:49:23 MDT 2007

Part 2.

The racing was spectacular.  I don't recall much of the classes, nor
the drivers or cars.  The announcer gave all the details but the cars

on the track didn't always seem to make sense.  Even so, it was
great.  A TR3 started 3rd in the first race we saw, finished a
respectable 4th.  In one race a Lotus 7 and an Aston Martin battled
it out, the Aston starting on the pole (I think) with the Lotus
taking him about lap 6 or 7 then moving away for the win.  In another
a "Chrysler-engined" Allard was chased by an MGB.  That seemed like
an engine mis-match.  Another race included IMSA GT(?) cars and Euro
sports racers w/2000 engines.  The pole sitter was a turbo-Porsche
but much of the field was Chevrons (?).  As they came to the green
flag the Porsche driver had managed to spin up the turbo and he
dragged away from the field.  By lap 2 he had a 5-second lead, seemed
to stretch it more on the next, IIRC.  Then about lap 5 the Chevron
driver (a silver car with #3 for those of you who might know), had
caught up with him, took him on the esses, and never looked back.
Until the very end.  As they came down the straight to the finish
line the Porsche fired up the turbo and and and...  caught him!  Or
did he?  It was a photo finish, way too close to tell by eye.  The
announcer never did say who won.  Dang!  That was an exciting finish
too.  Wish we knew the result.  The last race (or was it next-to-
last?) featured Corvettes and Mustang Cobras and GTs.  Rather noisy,
not terribly interesting.  Don't recall what won.  And did I mention
noisy?

After the last race we wandered through paddock, spoke to a few
folks, saw some wonderful cars close up.  Walked out to the parking
area, plopped down in some shade to have a picnic dinner, spoke to a
few folks asking about the GT6.

The trip home was uneventful, peaceful.  Listened to the Red Sox
game.  Kept up with traffic.  Saw quite a few ijits (normally spelled
i-d-i-o-t-s when they're not driving).

The GT6 is ready to go again!  It was a great day.
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com