[TR] generator charging problems

Bob Rolfes trbobtr at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 28 11:21:21 MST 2007

Here is a little problem I have never run into before.  I thought I would bounce it off the list members first before I get out the test meter and wiring diagrams.

  It all started with the generator light coming on while the engine was running in my 59 TR3a.  No big deal thinks I, so I changed the worn out brushes in the generator.  On starting and test drive everything ran fine and seemed to charge normal according to the lamp and positive amps on the meter.  But when I turned the car off, the generator lamp stayed on even with the key off and removed.  I then then restarted the car.  The lamp went off, but now there was no charging showing on the amp meter.

  Now I have no charging and no generator lamp at anytime, on or off.  I am thinking voltage regulator problems, but I wanted to ask for comment before getting dirty again.

  Bob
http://mail.yahoo.com