[TR] Seals

Jeffrey Barteet barteet at mrl.ucsb.edu
Sat Oct 27 11:42:22 MDT 2007

Jack,

My front crank seal 'weeps' oil, and I too rebuilt my engine less than
20k miles ago.

As I recall, the actual sealing surface was LEATHER.  I remember when I
put it in that I thought this was taking originality a bit far, and
wished there was a modern lip seal in hand.  It reminded me of the
packing boxes on boats where the shaft passes through the hull and they
weep by design.

This was a 4-pot TR 4 motor and not a new-fangled 6-pot motor, so not
sure if they stopped using leather seals by that time.

If someone ever found a cross-reference for a 'modern' ( designed in the
second half of the last century ) spring lip seal, I'd order the part
and have it on hand for when I next remove my timing gear cover.

-jeffrey

-jeffrey