[TR] Take a bow list and Q

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 27 11:54:56 MDT 2007

On Saturday 27 October 2007 12:43 pm, John Gillis wrote:
> Well at 4.30 Dublin time after what is likely been 3 decades my TR2
> sprung into life, without a doubt due in no small part to the years
> of advice received on the list, if I might indulge ye a little
> further, a few points; started on the button after setting ignition
> timing the old fashioned way, it did on the initial two start ups,
> which ran for no more than 10 seconds emit quite a bit of smoke from
> the oil cap, and continued to do so for a minute after running, on
> the third start this seems to have stopped, any ideas?. I do have
> problems getting fuel from the tank to the carbs, I filled the bowl
> on the pump to no avail and ended up removing the overflow bolts on
> the float chambers and filling them. But even running the pump does
> not appear to be pulling fuel through, as the engine died when the
> fuel in the carb bowls ran out, any tricks here?. Very excited
> though, sounds smooth and rattle free, woopee
> John
> 1954 TR2

John,

Sounds like the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump is blocked.

Try removing the line from the fuel pump input and maybe some compressed air
through the line will help.

But even if it does, there may be rust, etc in the tank/line. Try draining the
tank and see what flows out!

If the line is clear the fuel pump may be the problem, either the pump or
possibly the cam follower.

As far as the smoke from the oil cap, this should not happen. Sometimes there
is a linger after a long run but it would only be oil/water vapor from the
sump.

Sounds like there is combustion gases getting into the sump and therefore out
the oil cap. Could be a burnt valve and gas passing through the valve guide.

You could also check the breather pipe just under the fuel pump to insure it
is clean and clear. Easy to remove and check.

Bob