[TR] Seals

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Oct 27 12:24:59 MDT 2007

> If someone ever found a cross-reference for a 'modern' (
> designed in the second half of the last century ) spring lip
> seal, I'd order the part and have it on hand for when I next
> remove my timing gear cover.

I don't have the number, but I just walked into Kragen and ordered one for
my TR3A.  Took them 2 days to get it, but it was a modern 'rubber' lip seal.
Can't tell you when that was, but it was at least before 2000 and I'm sure
more than 20,000 miles ago.  The spare I bought is still in my parts bin
somewhere (but I'm too lazy/busy to go dig it out today).

But as I've mentioned before, the condition of the sealing surface on the
hub is critical.  Although conventional wisdom is that anything you can't
feel with a fingernail is probably OK; I've come to the conclusion that
anything I cannot polish out completely is NOT acceptable.  IOW, if I can't
polish away that mark, it's deep enough to cause premature wear of the seal.
Since all of my front hubs (and I looked at several) were in that condition,
I used a Speedi-Sleeve.  Also important is being certain the lip has plenty
of assembly lube, which, since the hub will wipe off the lube as you push it
into place, means plenty of lube on the hub as well.

Randall