[TR] Push or pull

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 24 15:51:33 MDT 2007

> Sure, my 73 MkII Stag has the fan clutch assembly and we all
> know how cool they have tended to run  ;^)

Tom, are you talking about the original Torquatrol assembly, or have you
added an aftermarket fan clutch ?

The original Stag unit is not a clutch per se and spins the fan at
essentially the same speed regardless of radiator temperature.  It never
locks the fan to the crankshaft as a true clutch would.

Which I suspect is a Good Thing !  The Torquatrol was bad on my first Stag
when I got it and since Mk I units are rare, I temporarily locked the fan to
the crank.  The result was a ruined radiator when I hit some water and the
fan screwed it's way into the radiator.

As I'm sure you know, Stags equipped with AC should also have two 'pusher'
fans in front of the AC condensor.  I've collected 6 original fans so far,
and all of them seem to have stiff bearings (one is locked up entirely).
That, plus the many electrical problems that Stags seem particularly prone
to (even more than other Triumphs IMO), will very likely result in those
fans turning too slowly, which might be part of your problem.

Randall