[TR] TR250 Running Problems

Roger Elliott elliottr at rmi.net
Sun Oct 21 18:25:31 MDT 2007

About one month ago,  my wife was driving her TR250 home from a car show
when it started running rough. She was about 2 miles from home and
manged to get the car there.  It was fairly hot day we have both had
experiences with spark plug wires so we suspected one had gone bad.  In
the process of checking them one of the connectors cam off the wire - so
even if they had not been bad, they were now.  So I replaced the wires,
cap, rotor, condenser.

We took it out for a test drive and it died after driving about 3
miles.   It  restarted and seemed to be running okay so we took off.  It
died again after about 3 miles (we weren't home yet because of the route
we had taken.)  It was acting like it ran out of fuel - we had over half
a tank.  So I figured it must be the fuel filter or pump - I started
with the filter as it was easily available from the local NAPA store.  I
also discovered tears in the carb diaphragms so I replaced those.

It seems to idle and rev up normally so we took it out for another test
drive and it died again after about 2 miles.  The  fuel filter is full
of gas.  The  coil does not feel hot.  So we get it home and I look at
the diaphragm in the fuel pump.  There are no tears in it.  I haven't
done any kind of pressure test or flow test.

Does this seem like a fuel pump problem?  Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

Roger Elliott