[TR] TR4 Door Checkstraps

J.C. Hassall jhassall at blacksburg.net
Mon Oct 8 12:20:02 MDT 2007

Jeffrey Barteet wrote:
> Hi, Folks,
>
> I'm replacing the check straps on  my TR4, something I've been meaning
> to do, literally, for years.
>
> Now that I've got all the panels off and I'm in there, I see I have a
> two-fold problem. The checkstrap assembly provided by Moss goes into the
> kick panel area just in front of the door without issues. The problem
> I've encountered is the 'anchor' portion of the check strap on the door
> itself. It is distorted and almost torn free from the door.
Jeffrey,

My 63's doors were in the same condition, so I fabricated a set of
"anchors" from sheet metal (sorry, don't remember the gauge, but it was
just a smidge (metric dimension) thinner than the original).  Now that
I'm actually installing the doors, I wish I'd modeled the "anchors"
after the later -4s and -4As.  The early -4s had that dumb metal on
metal stop design, while the later cars had a rubber snubber; the design
change necessitated a change in the anchor design as well.  I can send
you pix of what I fabricated if you're interested.

Anyway, you can fabricate your own anchors, then tack weld in place.  Or
you can carefully cut them out of the door, then screw a larger "patch"
from the inside.  Lots of options.

Jim

--
J.C. Hassall