[TR] TR4 Door Checkstraps

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 8 11:13:24 MDT 2007

On Monday 08 October 2007 12:00 pm, Jeffrey Barteet wrote:
> Hi, Folks,
>
> I'm replacing the check straps on  my TR4, something I've been meaning
> to do, literally, for years.
>
> Now that I've got all the panels off and I'm in there, I see I have a
> two-fold problem. The checkstrap assembly provided by Moss goes into the
> kick panel area just in front of the door without issues. The problem
> I've encountered is the 'anchor' portion of the check strap on the door
> itself. It is distorted and almost torn free from the door.
>
> The PO who was the original owner must have been pretty heavy handed and
> threw the door open pretty hard.
>
> Is there a repair part for this? The anchor is spot welded to the door
> frame, so it's not something you can unbolt and replace.
>
> Any suggestions from the folks who have BTDT?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -jeffrey

Jeff,

I had the same problem on my TR4 project. I chose to use a set of later TR4 or
4A doors with the stronger attachment point. The doors were dent free also so
that made the decision easier. They came with the project!

I fabricated a set of check straps from heavy sheet metal that had the TR4 end
facing the door hinge and a twist and attached with the 1/4 bolt at the door.

I lined the strap with a plastic gasket material from Lowes and they work
fine. This plastic gasket provides a bearing effect.

I never open the door too hard so not as to stretch the assembly.

The check strap attachment points on my TR4 doors were all stretched, torn and
distorted.

If you are in a restoration, you might want to source a set of later 4/4A
doors with the TR3 like attachment at the door. It seems like a stronger
assembly.

I am guessing that the older 4 attachment points would have to be welded in
order to repair.

Bob