[TR] TR4 Exhaust

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 23 17:40:14 MST 2007

At last, my silencer is silenced!

Thanks to Bob, Geo, Jim & Jeff. I learned that my gearbox-bracket is
in place on the car. How I'd not noticed it in doing prop-shaft u-
joints, I don't know. But it's not helpful to my downpipe because,
inexplicably, my pipe crosses under the gearbox to the left side of
the car, a good 5 or 6 inches from the bracket. As provided by TRF,
17 years ago, my PO told me......I think things have improved since.

I ended up recruiting a local custom exhaust guy to help with a
couple of brackets. Afterwards, I was half-happy on the way home. The
drumming of the exhaust had stopped, but I still had a clunking over
rough road that bothered me. Bothered me a lot, actually.

Under the car, I could see that Alex of Alex's Exhausts had done all
possible to secure this plumbing. The remaining 'clunk' was not this.
I remembered a post in the archives about moderately tight suspension
fittings causing a surprising amount of noise. So off with the rear
wheels, and I set about my task. Last year I had removed the rear
dampers to clean them out and refill with fresh oil: what came out as
pretty ugly, but they still worked. So now, I find myself hoping for
a loose bolt. None were loose, but the bolts holding the dampers, and
the u-bolts holding the axle to the springs, got a real waft on a
long spanner........making fairly tight bolts much tighter.

And guess what? Bingo. This feels like a different car. No more
drumming. No more clunking. Oh boy, this is even more fun now!.

Best to everyone.

For some reason, best known to my better-half, I'm driving us
tomorrow from Valley Forge, PA to Manassas, VA to see friends, and
then have the joy of the greatest road congestion day of the year
from VA back to Valley Forge on Sunday. I-95 anyone? There is a joke
in there, with Man and Ass, but it won't help me here to find it.

Pip, pip,

Brian