[TR] loss of damper oil

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Nov 23 16:25:38 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/23/2007 12:00:13 PM Central Standard Time,
jrmcarthur at verizon.net writes:
> My problem is that all of the
> damper oil in the front carb has disappeared. I have filled the resevior
> twice now and the fluid keeps going AWOL. No obvious leaks. I have plans to
> rebuild the carbs when we get to our new home and have the rebuild kits
> here, in case. So, can anyone tell me what/where my issue is? Many thanks in
>
> advance!

The damper oil sits on top of the mixture adjuster.  There is an O-ring that
seals the interface between the bore and the adjuster.  After 30 odd years the
O-ring has turned into graphite and the oil will run out past the needle
where it mixes with the air/fuel mixture and is burned by the engine.  You will
never see that amount of oil.

In your rebuild kit there will be the proper O-ring but changing it out is
tricky.  First you must remove the needle.  This is done by removing the
indexing screw on the side of the piston.  This is a brass screw and can break if you
are not careful.  Next adjust the needle to full extension until the needle
becomes disengaged with the threads on the adjuster.

Next, using a piece of dowel rod slightly smaller than the bore at the
bottom, press the adjuster assembly out of the piston.  Take care when you reach the
end.  There is a clip that holds it in position.  You will be forcing this
out of the bore and when you reach the end it will fly away if you don't catch
it.

Once you get the adjuster out you will see the O-ring and the rest is
obvious.  Assembly is the revers of the above.

Dave