[TR] TR4 exhaust follow up

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 23 08:55:31 MST 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007 05:49 am, Brian Jones wrote:
> Jef - thanks. I had seen that image. I understood where the clamp
> fixes on the exhaust, but I was unclear where on the car went the
> bracket.
>
> Good luck with your efforts. Mine is a TRF muffler set that were on
> the car when I bought it. Best I can guess, it was put on in the
> early 90s, and amazingly, the TRF product label is still attached.
> The SS is in excellent condition, but to my mind the muffler boxes
> are too #^@&ing BIG. Perhaps the systems they now supply are smaller
> and fit better than this one.
>
> If I can't fix this with the front bracket, I may add a bracket as
> Geo described (between the mufflers). I have also seen a customised
> support that would help me in Roger Williams' "How to Improve T2-4a",
> page 121. It fixes the tailpipe to the cross member that runs under
> the spare wheel well.
>
> If all else fails, I'm going to cut off the second box and add a
> straight through pipe (like early TR3s had), and add a glass-filled
> Monza muffler tip, or move to a Monza exhaust.
>
> It will be fixed because I have come to the point where, as Mr
> Churchill once said, "Up with this I will not put".
>
> Brian

Brian,

I installed a Bell stainless system on the TR4 project. 3 piece system
headpipe center and rear muffler. In all my almost 40 years of Triumph 3 and
4 ownership history, this is the best fitting system I have ever worked with.

There was no bending, cutting, swearing etc.

I used the stock mounts on the transmission (headpipe to center muffler) and
rear hanger from TRF.

I installed a stainless clamp from JCW to secure the front and rear mufflers.

It is a little louder than the mild steel system I have installed on the 3,
especially when the top and windows are up, but with the top down it is a
real treat to drive. A real head turner when I add some throttle in 2nd.

Bob