[TR] TR6 Bodyshell US to UK shipping

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 23 05:55:03 MST 2007

Bill Davis wrote:
> Sorry Jonmac, there is no way I will be able to convince Paul to wrestle
> with a Heritage TR6 shell. These have a fearsome reputation for poor
> quality. If the lop-sided (NEW!) Spitfire bonnet we recently handled was
> anything to go by, or maybe the non-symmetrical pair of Spitfire bonnet
> tubes, then the reputation is justified!

Hmm - well I've no axe to grind in favour (or not) of BMH bodyshells or parts. I'd heard in the dim
past that Spitfire bits were a disappointment and the re-bodied French Blue TR6 at Gaydon was
nothing to write home about in terms of panel fit and door / bonnet / boot lid clearances. That said
(and to be kind as well) the BMH shell only reflects the original on those grounds. All TR's coming
to Coventry from Liverpool were similarly appalling in that respect. Perhaps BMH ought to go that
'extra mile' in supplying the shells with various lumps and lengths of stout timber, together with
some good 'clouterie' in the form of a range of large rubber faced hammers. Such additions would
definitely satisfy the 'originality' protagonists. Perhaps a hernia belt might be a good idea too?

Jonmac