[TR] Checking the drop arm's 3 degree setting

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Thu Nov 22 13:42:38 MST 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Recently, I was told that one cause of my TR3's steering's misadjustment might
be an incorrect setting of the drop arm (pitman arm).  The correct setting for
the drop arm is when there is a 3 degree deviation between the drop arm and
steering shaft when the steering is set straight ahead.  I believe the idler
arm would also be parallel with the drop arm.  Although this measurement might
amount to simply several 'teeth' on the rocker shaft in order to achieve the
desired 3 degrees, I have no way of knowing where 'straight ahead' really is.
I might be able to make a good guess.
    I suspect that when on when one has the steering straight ahead that this
3 degrees might translate into 1/2"  at the tail end of the short drop arm to
the steering column.  Can someone please tell me if 1/2" is correct?  It
proably is larger.  In fact, there might be a better way to check this for
accuracy.  Thank you very much

Paul Dorsey
60 TR3