[TR] TR3A Alternator Conversion Bracket Problem

Bill & AnnaBelle anabil007 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 22 11:53:09 MST 2007

I went  through  those problems, and I  believe the solution is a
matter of physical science.
My alternator instructions simply called for bolting the bottom of
the alternator to the front generator mount ... I thought that was
very flimsy.  So ... I got a bolt long enough (six inches if I
remember correctly) to go through both front and back generator mount
holes.  Added steel tubing spacers between the mounting holes (to
keep them from bending in) ... this required several "fittings". I
then bolted the alternator to this cantilevered support.
The upper mounting bracket required whacking on a solid surface to
make it flat, as in no bend.
This has been in place and working fine for over a year.  I am now in
the process of replacing all the pulleys with the cool aluminum
narrow belt kit, primarily because of the great crankshaft dampener
that is part of the  kit.  I found that the generator  pulley can be
adapted to the alternator by boring  out the hole (carefully) and
adding a shim or two to make sure everything lines up.
The  key is the cantilevered bolt ... the front generator mount is
just to flimsy to hold the alternator by it's lonely only.

Good Luck
--
Bill  Pugh
1957 TR3 TS16765L