[TR] Charging Sytem Not Working - 74 TR6

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Nov 15 11:58:50 MST 2007

>  I plan on checking the wiring on the
> alternator tonight and the belt but if those check out is it
> most likely the
> alternator died?

Almost certainly.

> If so, do I just go to one of the big three
> or is there a better vendor?

If it were my car, I'd punt the Lucas ACR.  You can pick up a Bosch from a
78 Ford Fiesta with A/C at your FLAPS for substantially less than the Lucas
(mine was under $80 with tax & core charge), and with more current output
(especially at idle) and better reliability.

Should bolt right on, although on a 74 TR6, you may need to add one wire for
the sensing circuit.  Just a simple, small wire from the side terminal on
the alternator over to the junction in the main battery cable.

Randall