[TR] Charging Sytem Not Working - 74 TR6

Marty Clark marty.tr6 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 11:27:54 MST 2007

Driving home last night about 9 PM on the freeway my 74 TR6's ignition light
came on. Volts had dropped to a little under 12. I turned off the dash
lights, only thing on at the time except headlights, but it didn't make a
difference that I could see (hey, it was dark). I slowed down thinking maybe
the belt was slipping at 3,500 RPM, no change. I had less than 4 miles to
the house so I wasn't too concerned. Once I got onto my block I turned off
the headlights and drove a block but the volts stayed under 12. The battery
is only a couple of months old. I plan on checking the wiring on the
alternator tonight and the belt but if those check out is it most likely the
alternator died? If so, do I just go to one of the big three or is there a
better vendor?

Marty Clark
Gilbert, AZ
1974 TR6 CF17352U