[TR] was ballast resistor/ electronic ignition, now I was wrong and an apology

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Nov 7 16:44:19 MST 2007

On 7 Nov 2007 at 15:16, Eric Butschek wrote:

> Please allow a most humble apology.

Very magnanamous of you.  Speaking only for myself, I will say I am
never offended by "focused" technical discussion.  Personal attack,
yes; offensive language, maybe.  Technical arguments, no.  (We all
know the world is flat anyway.)

> I am surprised that by '76 the TR6 would still have points
> ignition...  My '78 Spitfire does have Lucas electronic ignition.

I've never been quite sure of the history of Lucas' electronic
ignition systems.  My '80 Spitfire has the Lucas "Constant Energy
Ignition" system, but I was told it was a factory upgrade to a
different system.  What is yours?

I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again.  Inside the CEI
control box (the unit which bears the label "Do not open, hazardous
material inside") there is nothing more than a GM electronic ignition
module, the late 80's version with 4 connection tabs.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+