[TR] was ballast resistor/ electronic ignition, now I was wrong and an apology

Eric Butschek ebutschek at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 7 14:16:45 MST 2007

Dear List,

Please allow a most humble apology. After re-reading my post from the other
day, it appears I was rather sarcastic and even rude.
I certainly meant no offence to anyone. This list and especially Randal have
provided me a wealth of info and reading pleasure.

Add to that it appears I was just plain wrong.

I am surprised that by '76 the TR6 would still have points ignition. I have
never owned a TR6, so I took a rather ( uneducated ) wild guess. My '78
Spitfire does have Lucas electronic ignition. Per my Haynes Spitfire manual,
the Spitfire got electronic ignition starting in '75, but on North American
vehicles only. That seems odd to me, but maybe it was an emmisions thing or
that it may have been a more expensive option.

The haynes manual shows units prior to '75 as Lucas contact breaker ignition
with 12v coil and no mention of a ballast resistor at all.
'75 on as Lucas breakerless ignition with " 6v coil and ballast resistor".

They show a drawing of the resistor as a fairly large metal thing mounted on
the air pump bracket or later incorporated into the wiring harness.

I stand corrected. Please excuse my lame attempt at advice. I will check my
facts better before hitting the send button.

I hope someday to own a Full Sized Triumph. Perhaps a TR3. ( I'm going out
on a limb here ) I am fairly certain they did not have electronic ignition!

Eric, Austin Tx.