[TR] Ballast resistors and Electronic ignition

Eric Butschek ebutschek at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 6 13:49:44 MST 2007

I dissagree...

ballast resisters were used with points ignitions in the 60's

when everyone went to electronic ignitions in the 70's... they lost the
ballast resistor and the 2nd hot wire from the solenoid...

I mean what is the amperage draw through a Pertronix Ignition Modual?....
100 milli amps max? Over heat the coil?

This is a 76 TR6.. it allready had electronic ignition... there's no
"hidden" ballast ressistor... the ones I've replaced are as big as my thumb
and usually mounted to the firewall next to the coil..

I do agree that the coils probably should be matched to the system, check
with the manufactor, as on motorcycles with new ignitions ( Dyna, IIS) that
are fully computer chip controled, No centrificul advance, they do recomend
higher impedence? coils.

Man I love this list!
Eric, Austin Tx.