[TR] further gap reduction options

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Mon Nov 5 21:37:34 MST 2007

Thanks to those who've tried to help me with my TR3.  I loosely mounted the
outer fenders, front apron, and bonnet but not tightened anything yet.  I am
wondering if i'll be able to remove the unsightly gap between these panels?
Even with these panels loose, the largest gap is a 1/2" wide and located on
both sides of the car where apron, bonnet and outer fender where all 3 panels
come togather.  Although the gap it's 1/2" at the junction of these body
panels, it gradually tapers off (in all directions) the further you get from
this point.
    I expect this gap will be reduced even further when I tighten the outer
fenders into the apron (thereby pulling the fenders into near placement.  If I
can reduce the 1/2" to 1/4" I'd be happy, but I doubt it will do this much in
both directions.  In fact, someone told me that:
attempts at pulling the fenders in by tightening the apron succeeded only in
pulling out the lips of the apron and fenders themselves.
    I wonder if twisting the inner fenders (longitudinally) towards the middle
of the car would have any positive effect?  What about adding or subtracting
body mounting pads from the front of the car or replacing them with slanted
pads might help reduce this gap?  Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Paul Dorsey  60 TR3