[TR] engine rebuild follow on

Skip Gurnee skip47 at powernet.net
Sun Nov 4 11:40:27 MST 2007

Hi John-
You wrote:
> I guess this is either valves or rings, hopefully the former. The
> second is a dripping of water from the underside of the water pump,
> this was a NOS item, can the pump leak or must it be from the gasket
> area?.
There's a straightforward way to check valves vs rings.  Do a compression
test.  Take baseline pressures, then squirt some engine oil into the plug
holes and take the measurements again.  If the pressure comes up
significantly, it's likely rings.  If not, then valve guides are suspect.
As for the waterpump, dry off the pump and check carefully where the water
is coming from.  The gasket will show water only at the bottom, the pump
itself will weep from the front.
Best,
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4