[TR] engine rebuild follow on

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 4 12:07:59 MST 2007

On Sunday 04 November 2007 12:02 pm, John Gillis wrote:
> Dear all,
> As I suspected my re-built engine, although running and starting very
> well has a few issues, can I try these two out on the list. I
> mentioned after the initial start up about a smokey oil filler which
> seemed to go away, well its back and not going away, once I run the
> engine I am getting smoke back through the filler after turning off.
> I guess this is either valves or rings, hopefully the former.
John,

The smoke may be blowing to the sump through the rings which may not have
seated yet. The only way smoke could get to the sump from the valves is
through the guides. Not much room there.

Make sure the rings are seated, takes awhile with chrome rings.

I guess there could be a problem with the head gasket where exhaust is leaking
through the oil hole to the rocker arm lube hole, but it is not likely.

> The
> second is a dripping of water from the underside of the water pump,
> this was a NOS item, can the pump leak or must it be from the gasket
> area?. Starting to have visions of me pulling the engine apart before
> I even drive the thing, don't know if I can face this, anyway all
> advice welcome.

IF the  pump is a NOS with an emphasis on OS, the seal may be hard and not
sealing. A leak here will be from the underside of the pump where there is a
slot in the shaft for grease to flow out. This is in the center of the pump
assembly. Coolant could also leak from the center of the front of the pump if
the seal is old.

Best fix for this is to install a new aftermarket pump from one of the usual.

If it is the gasket the leak will be at the gasket either on the pump or where
the housing attaches to the block.

Bob