[TR] TR3 bonnet gap reduction

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 4 07:20:10 MST 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 07:53 pm, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> I find huge, ugly gaps on ALL ALONG both bonnet SIDES when I tentively lay
> my bonnet down where it normally shuts.  Unfortuneatly, our normal fender
> beading won't cover this gulley.  The gaps I speak of are between the
> bonnet and the semi-mounted fender (none of the top fender bolts have been
> tightened yet).  I also haven't mounted the front apron yet, but since it's
> the exact same width as the bonnet (in the front) I know it will ALSO have
> the same ugly size gap. I have a picture available (upon request) that
> shows this huge gap between the fender & hood, and fender & apron.  It
> measures about 5/8" on each side.  I would think this ought to be about
> 1/4" on each side.
>     Some of the 'fix' might have been to have made all the angles 90
> degrees like the factory intended an unmounted fender to have.  Another
> major 'fix' was an idea given me by Bill Beech and I wonder if others  have
> tried it with success.  His idea was to simply wedge in some more aluminum
> wafers(?) at the front inner fender body mounts.  In fact, these might have
> to be
> 'wedge-shaped' in order to roll or twist the fenders just a TINY bit
> thereby reducing the width.  Is this an acceptable idea to reduce gap
> width?
>
> Thanks, Paul Dorsey
> 60 TR3A
Paul,

If memory serves me correctly, the gaps you mention should lessen when the
apron is attached.

One key attachment point is that front aluminum piece to each side of the
inner fenders.

During my last 3 restoration I had to really pull and pull the inner fenders
to get that brace to fit. This is the brace that attaches to the apron in the
front where the hood latch attaches. It is secured with 4 long 1/4 28 "
bolts. I used small diameter philips screw drivers to wedge it into place.
Lots of colorfull language if I remember correctly.

I am guessing your inner fenders have spread a bit. So I would loosen the
fenders and then mount the apron and see if that gap you mention is reduced.
Or if you want to to through the trouble, you could remove the brace from the
apron and install it between the inner fenders to see if the gap is reduced.

Bob