[TR] TR3 bonnet gap reduction

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Sat Nov 3 17:53:37 MST 2007

I find huge, ugly gaps on ALL ALONG both bonnet SIDES when I tentively lay my
bonnet down where it normally shuts.  Unfortuneatly, our normal fender beading
won't cover this gulley.  The gaps I speak of are between the bonnet and the
semi-mounted fender (none of the top fender bolts have been tightened yet).  I
also haven't mounted the front apron yet, but since it's the exact same width
as the bonnet (in the front) I know it will ALSO have the same ugly size gap.
I have a picture available (upon request) that shows this huge gap between the
fender & hood, and fender & apron.  It measures about 5/8" on each side.  I
would think this ought to be about 1/4" on each side.
    Some of the 'fix' might have been to have made all the angles 90 degrees
like the factory intended an unmounted fender to have.  Another major 'fix'
was an idea given me by Bill Beech and I wonder if others  have tried it with
success.  His idea was to simply wedge in some more aluminum wafers(?) at the
front inner fender body mounts.  In fact, these might have to be
'wedge-shaped' in order to roll or twist the fenders just a TINY bit thereby
reducing the width.  Is this an acceptable idea to reduce gap width?

Thanks, Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A