[TR] do it yourself radiator fixin'

Glenn A. Merrell StagByTriumph at tscusa.org
Sat Nov 3 10:44:27 MST 2007

Paul Dorsey wrote:
> I've never done this before, but, why shouldn't I 'recore' a radiator myself?
> Posibly, using a $100 radiator from NAPA?  If need be, I can use the top and
> bottom tanks from spare TR3 radiators.  Is the 'coring' "just the right size"
> for our cars?  Or is there some other thing I'm likely to mess up?  I work
> with an expert soldering guy- he wouldn't mind!  Please educate
> me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Dorsey
> 60 TR3

Paul,
One thing for sure is that it is not rocket science, but it is a learned
skill.  If you have a safe work area, the right sized torch- type of gas
- eye for temperature control and ability to clean and bend things to
fit together properly and understand how to make the metal joint take
solder over 100% of the joint without it flowing suddenly into the
radiator tanks and clogging up some core tubes, it should not be an issue.

However there is always that one thing you can not account for, and that
is years of experience of doing thousands of radiator repairs, and
knowing what works and what does not.  Maybe that experience only
provides for better shortcuts, or lack of experience provides for taking
too much precaution and performing a superior repair you may not get at
a radiator shop.

So it your are a detail oriented person, you will probably end up with a
better looking job once you break the learning curve.

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)