[TR] Dayton Wire Wheels verse Dunlop

William Brewer bbrewer at tvwireless.net
Sun Jul 29 18:40:28 MDT 2007

      I bought a slightly used set of MOSS Dunlop 60 spoke painted
wire wheels. They had no paint chipped off from curb rubs and still
had the MOSS stickers on them. The hubs were used, but appeared to
still fit tight. I have enjoyed the classic looks. Unfortunately, one
wheel has developed a serious clunk and has play on the hub. Another
wheel just broke a spoke and gave me a flat tire when the spoke
pushed through the tape into the tube.
      In the short run, I plan to replace the busted spoke and put
more tape over the nipples and keep driving with the clunk.
      I was considering upgrading to Dayton 60 spoke chrome/SS spoke
wheels and new hubs at considerable expense. Either that or Minilites
or Panasports, although they don't look as period.

      Can the Daytons be used with tubeless tires or do you still
need tubes?
      Is it realistic that the Daytons never need truing?
      What is the best deal on Daytons and new hubs? it looks like
British Wire Wheel in Fresno might be best for me (3 hours away). Has
anyone dealt with them?
      What works best at lubing the splined hubs? I used high
temperature grease last time and it was rusted on when I tried to
remove them. I plan to used anti-seize next time. It might be a
yearly maintenance activity from now on.

      TIA,

      Bill Brewer
      Tehachapi, CA
      1960 TR3A