[TR] polarization issue

Tr3bob at aol.com Tr3bob at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 18:07:32 MDT 2007

Hi Randall and guys,

I should know how to handle this by now, but I need to run it by you for
confirmation.

The charging circuit on my TR3A seems to have quit suddenly....it's  positive
ground.

Here's the scenario: I was replacing the gaskets on the front  HS-6 and
needed to get the wrench in the very small space between the  block and inner
fender to release the banjo bolt. After the operation  I noticed the ignition light
remained with the engine reving. The ammeter  dropped into the negative when
I turned on the lights so the circuit seems  to be OK.

Could I have somehow unpolarized the generator by inadvertently  touching the
field and power connections on the back side of the generator as I  swung the
wrench? I did notice a bare spot on the field wire and these  connectors are
very close to the swing of a wrench when removing the banjo bolt  on the front
carb.

I've already ordered a new regulator as the generator checks out OK, but
wondering if it is necessary...the regulator is only 4 years old. Could you
please repeat instructions to repolarize if this is the case...I stupidly
discarded the original. Is there anything I need to be aware of if I  change out the
regulator?

Thanks so much for your help.

Bob Stahlbush