[TR] Head Gasket for TR3A - smooth up or down

Allan Reich areich at telus.net
Thu Jul 26 19:41:05 MDT 2007

Randall:
Thanks for the great advice .. I will try to follow it .. not sure how accurately I can check the measurements.

From: "Randall" <tr3driver at ca.rr.com>

> > The flat washers under the head nuts are special items and are important;
> > hardware store washers are too soft and the wrong size. If yours are
> > missing or wrong, replace them. I believe they are now available from TRF
> > et al. Same goes for the nuts. I wound up with a set of 'tall' nuts from
> > BFE, but the original spec nuts are fine, IMO. Just don't use hardware
> > store nuts (even grade 8).

I don't have flat washers .. I only have lock washers.  Do you think the
"Moss" hardware is better than going to a fastener outfit .. what grade
would I specify?

> > BTW, the owner's manual specifies that the head gasket should be installed
> > smooth side down.

I found reference to "smooth face downwards" under heading 17 re the
"Low compression kit" ..page 27 of "Service Instruction Manual"  but
couldn't find it elsewhere in that book.  So i went out and found
Kenneth Ball's "Triumph TR2, TR3, and TR3A 1952-62" Workshop manual and
it also said on Page 13 "a new gasket smooth side down".

Based on simple principles, there are different surfaces on the block
side (4 sleeves, block) and only the head up top, so without knowing
anything else, I would conclude that smooth side to many surfaces and
non-smooth to the single surface ....  ie  Smooth Side down.  But that
may be too simple.

Allan